Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pulled Pork and Fennel Slaw

In celebration of our dear friend Scott's birthday, Nat and I decided to host a picnic last weekend in his honour. I began on Friday night by preparing a 2kg shoulder of pork, covered in a rub with garlic, paprika, mustard and other delicious things.
On Saturday I placed the pork in the oven and let it cook on a very low heat for about 6 hours... by this time the meat melted as you gently shifted it with a fork. After reducing a yummy sauce I pulled the meat apart using 2 forks and coated it in the sauce. I made a slaw with fennel, cabbage and apple with a light creamy dressing, and to top it all off we even had some yummy crispy crackling!!

Between the cheeks of a freshly made bap roll (courtesy of bakers delight- trust me they are delicious!) I placed a heaped spoonful of the pork mix, then the slaw, then a sprinkling of the crackling.. and voila.. a pulled pork roll! Mine didn't last long and it was lucky we ran out of rolls as I probably would have eaten about 20 more, it was that yummy!!

The recipe has been taken from a fellow blogger 'notwithoutsalt' which I adapted slightly. It is truly delicious, and if you are even having a quiet weekend and will be home to tend to the oven, I highly recommend this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment